|View Online Training by: Date | Technical Interest|
|View All Training by: Date | Technical Interest|
Accelerated Concept to Product (ACP) Process using a 3G Design Approach New!Reduce Mass, Lower Costs & Improve Performance with ACP-3G - A Holistic Detail Structural Design Approach
|I.D.# WB1403||Printable Description|
Today's transportation industries are facing multi-disciplinary challenges. The product design and development process challenges often contradict each other, for example cost, weight, quality and performance. A central challenge is the need for cost and mass reduction to compete in the global market, while continuing to meet all new and existing requirements for quality and performance. Accelerated Concept to Product (ACP) Process is a performance-driven, holistic, product design development method intended to create a balance between structure and strength, synchronizing the individual facets of the product development process. It takes advantage of design, material and manufacturing experience using multiple CAD, CAE and CAO tools to reduce product design and development time and costs, as well as to reduce product mass and improve product performance.
This three-session web seminar will offer information on how to design a concept model from a clean sheet using a holistic 3G design approach (ACP-3G), where material types and its properties (Grades and Gauges), Geometry (shape), and manufacturing process can work together for the optimum weight and performance. The instructor will show how to use a systemic design process approach addressing the concept design for system structure for general design shape (section and size it based on manufacturing constraints). How to then design structural components in detail using sub-system design optimization and traditional design approaches will be covered. The process will use leading CAE, Optimization and CAD design tools for illustration. ACP-3G will show the design of structures with the most efficient resources (Design and CAE head counts) and optimum shape and material (Grade and Gauges) for the minimum cost for manufacturing. The course will also go through vehicle body-in-white (BIW) design process. It will identify the sizes and shape of the major components of a vehicle (Low Fidelity 3G) and finally, high-fidelity design of the components for manufacturing in both a sub-system and full system.
This web seminar is complementary to the Accelerated Concept to Product (ACP) Process for Design Optimization Web Seminar, but it is not a mandatory prerequisite. Both courses will begin with a foundational discussion of the ACP Process and design methodology. While the complementary course takes the material load path into consideration during topology optimization, this course explores a completely holistic design approach. The approach is based on existing or current design concept geometry, in which the material types and its properties (Grade and Gauges), Geometry (shape) and manufacturing processes all work together for the optimum weight and performance.
By participating in this web seminar, you will be able to:
- Explore Accelerated Concept to Product (ACP) Process in today's product design environment
- Apply holistic key enablers for efficient design and weight reduction in the ACP-Concept process
- Define 3G design optimization of a structure that incorporates the optimal Geometry (shape) and material (Grade and Gauges), at the lowest cost for manufacturing
- Define and incorporate an efficient Load Management System (LMS)
- Describe and complete Full System MD (Multidisciplinary) 3G, Low Fidelity 3G (LF3G) optimization
- Describe decupling process and identify the optimal design sub-system concept based on 3G
- Optimization for manufacturing requirements and cost constraints (Mass, Performance and Cost)
Who Should Attend
Chief engineers, product and design managers, program managers and lead design/CAE engineers will benefit most from this advanced course. A solid understanding of mechanical engineering concepts, as well as an understanding of CAD, CAE and design is required. Knowledge of Optimization software tools and capabilities is a plus.
- Accelerated Concept to Product Design Process Methodology - Overview
- Case Study
- Low Fidelity 3G (LF3G) Optimization Process
- Load Path Management (LPM) evaluation under multi-disciplinary loading condition
- Design targets setting and calibrations
- Design space, design variables, constraints and objectives (Performance and Mass) based on load paths, Geometry, Grade and Gauge (3G) and manufacturing constraints
- LF3G FE model parameterization , LF3G design and monitoring processes
- 3G Optimization communication ( CAD/CAE, Optimization and the solver software)
- Load path optimization results study, Load Path Mapping (LPM) based on multidisciplinary loadings (static, dynamic and impact)
- Load path driven design and sub-systems functions
- LF3G Process outputs; new improved load paths, overall components section sizes (geometry) and grades and gauges for Decoupling and Sub-System Optimization
- Apply Load Path Mapping (LPM) analysis of a Low Fidelity Concept Design (LFCD) Model
- Decoupling Process 3G Sub-System Optimization
- Sub-systems for detailed component design
- Sub-system boundaries, loadings and constraints based on the full system
- Design components based on the manufacturing process
- Sub-system and full system comparison study
- Sub-System 3G optimization process (same as LF3G Process)
- Objectives, performance, design variables and manufacturing constraints (cost) in the 3G optimization process
- Integration of 3G Sub-System Optimization, Full system 1G/2G Optimization and Final
- Design Evaluation
- 3G Sub-system Optimization and manufacturing feasibility
- Final Design Evaluation based on performance, mass and cost (manufacturing, tooling and equipment)
- The optimized sub-system into new design for full system evaluation
- 1G/2G optimization for system correction
- DFMA and full system evaluation for all attributes
- Design sensitivity study
- BOM, Joining Process, Assembly Process and Manufacturability confirmation
- Final design evaluation
Instructor(s): Akbar Farahani
Currently Vice President and Director of Global Engineering (US, EU, Asia) at ETA Inc., Dr. Akbar Farahani, has over 25 years of experience in product design, development and consulting for automotive OEMs and suppliers in US, Europe and Asia. Dr. Farahani is an expert in vehicle development, meeting requirements for US, EU and Asia (FMVSS, IIHS, ECE, ADR regulations) through design optimization and the use of advanced materials. He also has developed advanced expertise in the use of high strength steel, lightweight product design and load management solutions. Dr. Farahani has led the way in the development of ETA’s award winning Accelerated Concept to Product Process (ACP Process). The new product design development process based on CAE, CAD and Optimization received prestigious recognition as the winner of the 2009 SAE/MITEF Vehicle Innovation Competition. To date, he has published more than 50 papers related to product design, optimization, ACP Process, vehicle crashworthiness/safety, and vehicle durability.
Registration for this live web seminar is available on a per-person basis, similar to purchasing a seat in a classroom. Participants attend an online session from work or home; anywhere with a PC with internet access (at least 56K) and a telephone. The fee includes one connection to the conference calls (toll free telephone number provided for U.S. and select countries*) and assigned personal ID number; one connection to SAE's online training center (via WebEx); and access to a secure course in the SAE Learning Center that contains the presentations, class session recordings, supplemental materials, and assignments.
Registrations will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. the day before the start of the web seminar, but early registration is encouraged to allow for pre-course set-up and instructions.
*Global toll-free telephone numbers are provided for many countries outside the U.S., but are limited to those on the WebEx call-in toll-free number list. Check here to see if your country has a global call-in toll free telephone number for this web seminar. If your country is not listed, you may still connect using the US/Canada Call-in toll number or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
Although WebEx Training Manager will automatically launch when you join the web seminar, you or your system administrator are encouraged to download the plug-in in advance to help ensure successful setup. Click here, then follow the onscreen instructions.
NOTE: The course presentation will be recorded and made available for 30 days to those who register by the deadline.
Multiple Seat Discount - 50% off more than one!
- If you participated in the SAE Accelerated Concept to Product (ACP) Process for Design Optimization Web Seminar within one year prior to the start date of this course and paid full list or member price, you may request a 50% discount off the list price of this web seminar.
- Register one individual at the appropriate list or member price, then register as many additional employees at half off the list price. To receive the discount, register all individuals at the same time or mention the confirmation number for the first registrant. The offer is good for only the same web seminar and offering dates. All registrants will receive a personal account and opportunity for CEUs.
Can't attend on the date/time above? The presentation will be recorded and made available for 30 days to those who are registered, regardless of availability for the live session. If you still need to cancel, transfer to a future offering, or designate a substitute, a full refund is issued if you notify SAE at least 14 days prior to the web seminar start date. If less than 14 days prior, please contact SAE Customer Service to discuss options*. NOTE: SAE reserves the right to cancel web seminar and cannot be held responsible for related costs incurred by registrants other than the registration fee.
*Cancellation penalties may apply.
Fees: $535.00 ; SAE Members: $428.00 - $482.00
To register, click Register button at the top of this page and submit the online form, or contact SAE Customer Service at 1-877-606-7323 (724/776-4970 outside the U.S. and Canada) or at CustomerService@sae.org
You must complete all course contact hours and successfully pass the learning assessment to obtain CEUs.
To register, click Register button at the top of this page and submit the online form, or contact SAE Customer Service at 1-877-606-7323 (724/776-4970 outside the U.S. and Canada) or at CustomerService@sae.org.
|View Online Training by: Date | Technical Interest|
|View All Training by: Date | Technical Interest|