Access Period: 30 days
Duration: 1.5 Hours
While the topic of profile is covered in a basic Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) course, those discussions often ignore the variations allowed with these symbols that enable them to be used in complex ways. This advanced webinar will clarify the proper use of the profile tolerances in GD&T and uncover the nuances of these two symbols. Since profile of a surface is arguably the most powerful GD&T symbol, its full potential will be explored. It can be used to control size, form, orientation, and location and its relationship to datums can be varied. Learning these advanced techniques will allow designers to better communicate certain requirements. The examples given in this session will also illustrate several of the new options for profile that were introduced in the ASME Y14.5-2009 standard.
Is this Webinar Recording for You?
This advanced-level course is intended for designers, product engineers, manufacturing engineers, manufacturing personnel, and quality/gaging inspectors with a basic knowledge of GD&T concepts. It is a companion to the Advanced GD&T Competencies: Datum Usage and Composite Positioning webinars.
For those new to GD&T, the Fundamentals of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing Webinar is a recommended prerequisite. .15 CEUs
Captured from the most recent offering of the Advanced GD&T Competencies: Profile of a Surface Webinar available for release.
By connecting with this webinar recording, you will be able to:
- Explain when profile tolerances require a datum reference
- Determine which aspects of GD&T a given profile tolerance controls
- Interpret unilateral, bilateral, and nonuniform tolerances
- Describe how to properly measure profile tolerances
- Review of profile of a surface and profile of a line
- Using profile without datums
- All around and all over
- Locating a profile zone with toleranced dimensions
- Using the MMB modifier with profile
- Composite profile
- The "U" modifier
- Nonuniform tolerancing
Instructor(s): John-Paul A. Belanger
John-Paul Belanger is president of Geometric Learning Systems, a consulting firm specializing in geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (G D & T). For over ten years, he has trained people throughout North America and Europe in the proper interpretation and application of G D & T per the Y14.5 standard by using practical examples. Mr. Belanger is certified by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers as a Senior G D & T Professional, and has worked with a wide range of companies in the automotive, aerospace, electronic, and other industries to apply tolerances and perform stack calculations. He holds a B.S. in aerospace engineering from the University of Michigan specializing in aircraft design and safety.
- Thirty days of online single-user access (from date of purchase) to the approximately one and one half hour recorded presentation
- Course workbook (downloadable, .pdf's)
- Online learning assessment
- Instructor follow up to your content questions
- .15 CEUs* (with satisfactory assessment score)
About Webinar Recordings
SAE Webinar Recordings are audio/visual captures of live webinars. The course sessions are unedited to include the results of interactions with the live participants and to expedite course availability. A learning assessment is available at the end of the course to reinforce learning and retention and gauge your understanding of the topic.
- Windows 2000, XP, 7 (Not currently supported by Windows Vista)
- Pentium III PC
- Minimum 128 MB RAM; recommended 256 MB RAM
- Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8, or 9 browser (IE 10 & 11, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Unix/Linus based browsers are not currently supported)
- Adobe Flash Player 8.0 & above
- Broadband-128Kbps and above
- 1024 X 768 Screen Resolution
- Sound Card/Speakers