Access Period: 30 days
Duration: 1.5 Hours
While the basics of datums are covered in a standard Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) course, those discussions often overlook the variations that enable datums to be used in complex ways. This advanced webinar will detail the proper use of datums, showing their full potential to make your drawings as effective as possible. Most people who use GD&T are familiar with traditional datums derived from flat surfaces, and have adequate knowledge of the principle of establishing 3-2-1 contact points. In this webinar, participants will learn to select, identify, simulate, and describe datums and datum features for special uses such as irregular shapes, flexible parts, and datum references that use the maximum material modifier. Also covered are several new modifiers and options given in the ASME Y14.5-2009 standard. Learning these advanced techniques will allow designers to better communicate certain requirements.
Is this Webinar Recording for You?
This advanced-level course is intended for designers, product engineers, manufacturing engineers, manufacturing personnel, and quality/gaging inspectors with a basic knowledge of GD&T concepts. It is a companion to the Advanced GD&T Competencies: Profile of a Surface and Composite Positioning webinars.
For those new to GD&T, the Fundamentals of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing Webinar is a recommended prerequisite. .15 CEUs
By connecting with this webinar recording, you will be able to:
- Explain the difference between a datum and a datum feature
- Select appropriate datums for irregularly shaped parts such as body or interior panels
- Properly simulate given datums
- Explain effects of a modified datum on a geometric tolerance
- Interpret new datum tools such as translation and custom degrees of freedom
- Brief review of traditional datum usage
- Selecting datums: surface vs. feature of size
- Use of the MMB modifier (formerly MMC)
- Using a pattern as a single datum
- The new translation modifier
- Applying the "M" modifier to a surface
- Customized degrees of freedom
- Irregular feature of size datums
- Moveable datum targets
Instructor(s): John-Paul A. Belanger
John-Paul Belanger is president of Geometric Learning Systems, a consulting firm specializing in geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (G D & T). For over ten years, he has trained people throughout North America and Europe in the proper interpretation and application of G D & T per the Y14.5 standard by using practical examples. Mr. Belanger is certified by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers as a Senior G D & T Professional, and has worked with a wide range of companies in the automotive, aerospace, electronic, and other industries to apply tolerances and perform stack calculations. He holds a B.S. in aerospace engineering from the University of Michigan specializing in aircraft design and safety.
- Thirty days of online access (from date of purchase) to the approximately one and one half hour recorded presentation
- Course workbook (downloadable, .pdf's)
- Online learning assessment
- Instructor follow up to your content questions
- .15 CEUs* (with satisfactory assessment score)
About Webinar Recordings
SAE Webinar Recordings are audio/visual captures of live webinars. The course sessions are unedited to include the results of interactions with the live participants and to expedite course availability. A learning assessment is available at the end of the course to reinforce learning and retention and gauge your understanding of the topic.
- Windows 2000, XP, 7 (Not currently supported by Windows Vista)
- Pentium III PC
- Minimum 128 MB RAM; recommended 256 MB RAM
- Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8, or 9 browser (IE 10 & 11, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Unix/Linus based browsers are not currently supported)
- Adobe Flash Player 8.0 & above
- Broadband-128Kbps and above
- 1024 X 768 Screen Resolution
- Sound Card/Speakers