Access Period: 30 days
Duration: 6 Hours
Analysis of tolerance stacks varies widely. This webinar introduces the basic tools to create a common methodology for tolerance stack-ups, and ensure seamless documentation. Participants will create 1-D tolerance stacks for parts and assemblies that use geometric dimensioning and tolerancing using a tolerance stack spreadsheet. This simple, manual spreadsheet method produces an easily interpreted and checked documentation trail, and is easily adaptable to common electronic spreadsheet programs. Multiple examples will be provided to assist engineers in applying tolerance stack-up fundamentals to Y14.5 issues.
Is this Webinar Recording for You?
Engineers familiar with concepts and practices contained within Y14.5 and who are looking for a fundamental step-by-step process for getting geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) into a tolerance stack will benefit from this course. A basic understanding of GD&T symbols and concepts is required.
This course satisfies a requirement in the Product Engineering Tools and Methods Certificate Program..6 CEUs
"Well planned, great that he started with the basics and worked up. A review is great for old and new engineers."
Joseph C. Fusaro, Jr.
Mechanical Engineering Administrator
Curtiss-Wright Controls & Embedded Computing
By participating in this webinar recording, you will be able to:
- Perform and develop a tolerance stack-up analysis
- Correctly enter geometric feature control frame data into a tolerance stack
- Apply a common step-by-step methodology to tolerance stack analysis
Session 1 - Introduction and Review
- Introduction and tolerancing review
- Tolerancing strategies
- Review of G D & T
- How to identify the stack path
- The two-column stack spreadsheet
- Entering dimensions into the spreadsheet
- Examples with coordinate dimensions
- Location and runout tolerances
- Profile tolerances
- Form and orientation tolerances
- Overview of bonus and shift tolerance
- Part vs. assembly stacks
Instructor(s): John-Paul A. Belanger
John-Paul Belanger is president of Geometric Learning Systems, a consulting firm specializing in geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (G D & T). For over ten years, he has trained people throughout North America and Europe in the proper interpretation and application of G D & T per the Y14.5 standard by using practical examples. Mr. Belanger is certified by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers as a Senior G D & T Professional, and has worked with a wide range of companies in the automotive, aerospace, electronic, and other industries to apply tolerances and perform stack calculations. He holds a B.S. in aerospace engineering from the University of Michigan specializing in aircraft design and safety.
- Thirty days of online access (from date of purchase) to the four session, approximately six hour, recorded presentation
- Course workbook (downloadable, .pdf's)
- Online learning assessment
- Instructor follow up to your content questions
- .6 CEUs* (with satisfactory assessment score)
About Webinar Recordings
SAE Webinar Recordings are audio/visual captures of live webinars. The course sessions are unedited to include the results of interactions with the live participants and to expedite course availability. A learning assessment is available at the end of the course to reinforce learning and retention and gauge your understanding of the topic.
- Windows 2000, XP, 7 (Not currently supported by Windows Vista)
- Pentium III PC
- Minimum 128 MB RAM; recommended 256 MB RAM
- Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8, or 9 browser (IE 10 & 11, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Unix/Linus based browsers are not currently supported)
- Adobe Flash Player 8.0 & above
- Broadband-128Kbps and above
- 1024 X 768 Screen Resolution
- Sound Card/Speakers