Access Period: 90 days
Duration: 25 Minutes
Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) is an essential part of any product design or redesign activity. FMEA is a proactive, quantitative, qualitative, step-by-step approach for identifying and analyzing all potential points of failure in any product or service. This team-based activity can dramatically improve product performance. It can also reduce manufacturing issues at the component, system, and processing level.
This module gives a high-level overview of FMEA facts: WHAT an FMEA is, WHY they are used, WHEN an FMEA is created, WHO is on the FMEA development team, and HOW the FMEA form is completed. The history of FMEAs, standards, and team responsibilities are also discussed.
All material is in conjunction with current industry standards, such as SAE J1739. While the course module is approximately 25 minutes in length, the estimated time to completion, including knowledge checks and the learning assessment is one hour.
Is this On Demand Course for You?
This course is designed for individuals who need an overview of the Failure Mode and Effects Analysis process and tool including project and program managers, as well as design and development, process, product, quality, and application engineers.
Additional modules are being planned to provide a comprehensive FMEA curriculum. You may also consider attending the live web seminar FMEA for Robust Design: What, Why, When and How, delivered in six, two-hour sessions led by instructor Angelo Mago.
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the Requirements tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.0.1 CEUs
By participating in this On Demand course, you will be able to:
- Describe the FMEA history, terms, standards and types
- State the benefits and advantages of using an FMEA
- Describe the composition and responsibilities of an FMEA team
- Explain when an FMEA is needed and the timing involved
- Describe the basic information and inputs required in each column of an FMEA form
- Lesson 1: Introduction
- Lesson 2: WHAT is Failure Mode and Effects Analysis?
- Lesson 3: WHY should we use FMEA?
- Lesson 4: WHO is on an FMEA team?
- Lesson 5: WHEN should we develop an FMEA?
- Lesson 6: HOW do we complete an FMEA form?
- Lesson 7: Summary
- 90 days of online single-user access (from date of purchase) to the one hour presentation
- Online learning assessment (submit to SAE)
- A job aid for practical application of the topics covered
- Follow-up to your content questions
- 0.1 CEUs*/Certificate of Achievement (with satisfactory learning assessment score)
About On Demand Courses
SAE On Demand Courses offer an interactive and engaging online learning experience and provide a high-quality, self-paced learning solution with instructor support. Access courses using your computer or, for some titles, by tablet any time from any location.
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer10-11, Mozilla Firefox 37+, Google Chrome 42+ (Microsoft Edge, Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum