Access Period: 90 Days
Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is a computer-aided engineering (CAE) tool used to analyze how a design reacts under real-world conditions. Useful in structural, vibration, and thermal analysis, FEA has been widely implemented by automotive companies. It’s used by design engineers as a design tool during the product development process because it allows them to analyze their own designs while they are still in the form of easily modifiable CAD models, providing quick turnaround times and ensuring prompt implementation of analysis results in the design process. While FEA software is readily available, successful use of FEA as a design tool still requires an understanding of FEA basics, familiarity with the FEA process and commonly used modeling techniques, and an appreciation of inherent errors and their effect on the quality of results. When used properly, the FEA becomes a tremendous productivity tool, helping design engineers reduce product development time and cost. Misapplication of FEA, however, may lead to erroneous design decisions, which are very expensive to correct later in the design process.
This on demand course provides the skills necessary for proper use of FEA in the design process and ensures that the powerful tool is implemented in the most efficient and productive way. Participants will begin with the foundational FEA process, observe expert demonstrations showing how FEA is conducted using real models, study different types of typically performed analysis, discuss common misconceptions and errors made, and explore how FEA can be implemented within the design environment. Hands-on exercises focusing on FEA fundamentals, different types of analysis, and proper modeling techniques are included.
Is this On Demand Course for You?
This course addresses the needs of design engineers using Finite Element Analysis on a new product during the design process. Non-specialized analysts and FEA users, R&D engineers and managers, and project and product engineers can benefit from this introduction to FEA concepts.
Prefer just an overview to start? Consider starting with only Module I: Introduction to Finite Element Analysis for $85 (list). Contact SAE Customer Service, at 1-877-606-7323 (724/776-4970 outside the U.S. and Canada) or at firstname.lastname@example.org, and ask for I.D. #PD531241ON. If you decide you want more, you can purchase access to Modules II-VI for $650 (list) with I.D. #PD531241RM.
You may also consider reading Finite Element Analysis for Engineers by Dr. Paul Kurowski.1.2 CEUs
"I think the whole teaching experience flows very well with the examples and the interactivity. A course worth the money and definitely useful for the design engineer of the workplace."
By participating in this On Demand course, you will be able to:
- Identify the purpose of using FEA in the design process
- Identify and avoid errors inherent to FEA results
- Identify FEA advantages and shortcomings
- Recognize and avoid common FEA mistakes
- Produce reliable results on time
- Interpret and use FEA results
- Explain an effective approach to FEA project management
- Ensure quality and cost-effectiveness of FEA projects
Module I: Introduction to Finite Element Analysis
- FEA Definition and Process
- Discretizing and Characteristics of Finite Elements
- Degrees of Freedom
- Common FEA Assumptions
- Mesh Concerns
- Discretization Error and the Convergence Process
- FEA Preparation Using SOLIDWORKS
- Model Setup
- Analysis of Displacement, Strain, and Stress Results
- Analysis of Convergence Results
- Types of Convergence Analysis
- Verification and Validation of Results
- Control of Modeling Error
- Useful Modeling Techniques
- Types of Boundary Conditions
- Modal Analysis
- Buckling Analysis
- Thermal Analysis
- Classifications of Nonlinear Behavior
- Nonlinear Geometry Analysis
- Nonlinear Material Analysis
- Contract Stress Analysis
- FEA and the Product Design Process
- Interfacing between CAD and FEA
- Project Management of an FEA Project
- 90 days of online single-user access (from date of purchase) to the eight hour presentation
- The eBook, Engineering Analysis using SOLIDWORKS® Simulation by Paul Kurowski (loaded into My SAE Library)
- Student License to SOLIDWORKS® 2015
- Job Aids (included in each module of published course)
- SOLIDWORKS® Models
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Follow-up to your content questions
- 1.2 CEUs*/Certificate of Achievement (with satisfactory learning assessment score)
About On Demand Courses
SAE On Demand Courses offer an interactive and engaging online learning experience and provide a high-quality, self-paced learning solution with instructor support. Access courses using your computer or, for some titles, by tablet any time from any location.
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer 8-11, Mozilla Firefox 37 , Google Chrome 42 (Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum