Duration: 1.1 Hours
How do you know when there’s a problem in a given situation? Once discovered, how do you approach solving the problem? In this course, you’ll be provided basic steps for how to define a problem and an approach for solving that problem using a proven methodology. You’ll explore how a problem can be viewed as an opportunity for improvement and how a solution to a problem can be leveraged within different areas of your organization.
Effective problem solving isn’t just a quality function, and it's not just for operations or engineering. Effective problem solving is a valuable skill set needed throughout an organization. By working through a plausible scenario, you’ll assess your own problem-solving skills and experience how tempting it is to jump to solutions or try to fix the problem without investigating and understanding all the underlying causes. Though sometimes effective in the short-term, jumping to solutions can be unreliable, wasting time, money, and effort. Instead, you’ll be introduced to a formal problem-solving approach for finding root causes and implementing effective and lasting solutions that eliminate the problem.
The course concludes by emphasizing the need for problem-solving teams and providing an opportunity for you to practice creating a team that will investigate a sample problem. Here, you’ll explore the different roles and responsibilities utilized when solving problems using a structured approach. While the course module is approximately 70 minutes in length, the estimated time to completion, including knowledge checks and the learning assessment is 90 minutes.
Is this On Demand Course for You?
This course is applicable to those who seek an introduction to why you should implement effective problem solving methods. It is intended for individuals who have little or no experience in formal problem solving methodologies including those who are new to the automotive or aerospace industries.
Select the Purchase Options tab for details on buying this introductory module only, the core modules that build on the introduction, or the full-length course.0.1 CEUs
By participating in this On Demand course, you will be able to:
- Define “problem” and be able to recognize a problem in a given scenario
- Summarize the importance of seeing problems as opportunities and the resultant effects of this approach
- Explain why a structured approach helps to solve problems
- Recite the eight-step process used for problem solving and summarize how each step contributes to solving a problem
- Summarize roles and responsibilities associated with a structured problem-solving approach
- Recognize a need for a work team, construct an effective team, and define roles and responsibilities within the team
Module I: Foundations for Implementing Root Cause Analysis
- Identifying Problems
- How to Approach Problem Solving Using a Process Approach
- Methods and Tools for Problem Solving: An Eight-Step Approach
- Roles and Responsibilities in Problem Solving
- Seeing a Problem as an Opportunity
- Setting Up a Problem-Solving Team
- 90 days of online single-user access (from date of purchase) to the 70 minute presentation
- A printable summary of the key takeaways from each lesson
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Follow-up to your content questions
- .1 CEUs*/Certificate of Achievement (with satisfactory learning assessment score)
About On Demand Courses
SAE On Demand Courses offer an interactive and engaging online learning experience and provide a high-quality, self-paced learning solution with instructor support. Access courses using your computer or, for some titles, by tablet any time from any location.
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer 10-11, Mozilla Firefox 37 , Google Chrome 42 (Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum
Longer courses are divided into several components called modules. They may be purchased through the following options:
Introductory module – If you’d like only an introduction or overview of the topic, this module can be purchased as a stand-alone course.
Core modules – After completing the introductory module, you may purchase the remaining course modules as one package, without the need to repurchase the introductory module.
Full course – If you'd like to take the complete course, this purchase option includes all the course modules in one package.