Duration: 8 Hours
How do you solve a problem? Do you find yourself using quick and easy solutions or a structured methodology? Too often, organizations tend to seek quick solutions to a problem without adequately addressing its underlying cause. These decisions often result in solutions that don’t work or aren’t sustainable, often wasting time, effort, and money. To combat these issues and adopt a fresh approach, teams can use the methods and tools of Root Cause Problem Solving. By first viewing a problem as an opportunity for improvement, the team can then identify the problem’s root cause or causes, and implement solutions to prevent the problem’s reoccurrence.
This six module course introduces the Root Cause Problem Solving approach. It explains how using Root Cause analysis can help improve operational and financial performance by identifying root causes and implementing solutions to significant or reccurring problems. This methodology is used by many major automotive manufacturers to improve quality and customer satisfaction, reduce operation costs, and provide greater employee knowledge of work processes.
Participants will become familiar with the eight steps of the Root Cause Problem Solving approach, learning the key actions completed in each step and interacting with examples and scenarios that demonstrate how each step functions to solve problems and keep them from reoccurring in an organization. Participants will also be supplied with tools that assist with the completion of each step that they can use in their own problem-solving efforts on-the-job.
While the course is approximately eight hours in length, the estimated time to completion, including knowledge checks and the learning assessment is ten hours.
Is this On Demand Course for You?
This course is applicable to those directly working in or responsible for performance improvement of any definable, repetitive process (e.g., manufacturing, design, logistics, purchasing, sales, or distribution), including:
- Manufacturing managers, supervisors, and team leaders
- Manufacturing engineers
- Design engineers
- Quality engineers and technicians
- Technical managers
- Project team leaders
- Problem solving and quality improvement facilitators
- Anyone whose role includes problem solving: supervisors and lead personnel
Select the Purchase Options tab for details on buying this full course package, the introductory module only, and/or the core modules that build on the introduction. Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Prefer live, instructor-led training? Consider the Root Cause Problem Solving: Methods and Tools web seminar.1 CEUs
By participating in this On Demand course, you will be able to:
- Explain why root cause analysis using the 8-Step Problem Solving Methodology is more effective than non-structured problem solving efforts
- Define the difference between a problem, symptom, cause, and root cause
- Use tools and techniques to solve problems
- Evaluate effectiveness of problems solving efforts
- Describe the role of problem solving in continuous improvement
Module 1: Foundations for Adopting Root Cause Analysis
- Identifying Problems
- How to Approach Problem Solving Using a Process Approach
- Methods and Tools for Problem Solving: An 8 Step Approach
- Roles and Responsibilities in Problem Solving
- Setting Up a Problem Solving Team
- How to Describe a Problem
- Symptoms vs. Causes
- Methods for Collecting and Analyzing Data
- Problem Statements
- Methods for Protecting the Customer
- Recognizing Potential Causes
- Methods for Identifying Causes and Root Causes (cause-effect diagram, 5-why)
- Validating Potential Root Cause
- Strategies for Planning and Designing Effective Solutions
- Methods for Evaluating Potential Solutions
- Error Proofing Strategies
- Planning Implementation
- Project Management Strategies
- Completing System Changes
- Measuring and Verifying Effectiveness
- Ensuring the Problem is Eliminated
- Holding the Solution in Place
- Leveraging What is Learned
- FMEA and Problem Solving
- Methods of Team and Individual Recognition
- Capturing Lessons Learned and Moving Them Forward
- Problem Solving and Continuous Improvement
- 90 days of online single-user access (from date of purchase) to the six hour presentation
- Job aids (included in each module of published course)
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Follow-up to your content questions
- 1.0 CEU's*/Certificate of Achievement (with satisfactory learning assessment score)
About On Demand Courses
SAE On Demand Courses offer an interactive and engaging online learning experience and provide a high-quality, self-paced learning solution with instructor support. Access courses using your computer or, for some titles, by tablet any time from any location.
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer 10-11, Mozilla Firefox 37 , Google Chrome 42 (Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum
Longer courses are divided into several components called modules. They may be purchased through the following options:
Introductory module – If you’d like only an introduction or overview of the topic, this module can be purchased as a stand-alone course.
Core modules – After completing the introductory module, you may purchase the remaining course modules as one package, without the need to repurchase the introductory module.
Full course – If you'd like to take the complete course, this purchase option includes all the course modules in one package.