Duration: 3 Hours
Electroplating involves the deposition of thin layers of metal on metal components and metal stock. There are several uses for electrodeposited coatings including cosmetic, corrosion resistance, and wear resistance. Knowledge about electroplating and electroplated coatings is important for product design, preventing and solving quality problems, and evaluating supplier capabilities and quality.
Is this Metallurgy Online Course for You?
This course is targeted to people involved with product design, manufacturing, and supplier evaluation. This includes design engineers, manufacturing engineers, and quality engineers.
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the "Requirements" tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
If you’re ever involved with metal plating selection, supplier evaluation, and solving quality problems with electroplated metals, then this course is for you. You’ll learn concepts that will enable you to:
- Decrease product design time
- Reduce quality problems
- Quickly solve design, manufacturing, and supplier problems
- Select capable suppliers
This course teaches practical information about electrodeposition of metal coatings onto metal stock and components, and covers the following topics:
- Process steps for electroplating and supporting processes
- Different process formats
- Coating properties, features, and defects, and how they are evaluated
- Effects of electroplating process steps on coating properties, features, and defects
- Important coating properties, features, and defects for six different coating uses
- Selecting and specifying electrodeposited coatings
- Evaluating electroplating companies
Author(s): Industrial Metallurgists, LLC
Industrial Metallurgists, LLC provides materials engineering expertise and training to help you develop and manufacture products. Industrial Metallurgists, LLC believes that understanding the science and engineering of materials enables the design and manufacture of successful products that meet their performance, reliability, and cost requirements.
- 90 days of online single-user access (from date of purchase) to the three hour presentation
- Online learning assessment (submit to SAE)
- A job aid for practical application of the topics covered
- Follow-up to your content questions
About Metallurgy Online Courses
These online courses developed by Industrial Metallurgists, LLC and offered on demand by SAE International cover a variety of metallurgy topics and concepts that apply to common design, manufacturing, and quality situations and problems. Each course is divided into individual modules that can be completed in 30 minutes or less. Each module consists of slides with text, images, video, and narration. Many of the modules contain problems that require students to apply the knowledge learned. Non-graded quizzes at the end of each module and a graded final assessment at the end of each course serve as knowledge checks. Using a laptop or PC with an internet connection, you can learn at your own pace, at times convenient to you.
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer 10-11, Mozilla Firefox 37 , Google Chrome 42 (Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum