Access Period: 90 Days
Duration: 5 Hours
Quickly getting to the bottom of a metal failure is critical for preventing future failures, keeping customers happy, and keeping manufacturing lines running. This course will teach you how to perform failure analysis of fracture, corrosion, and manufacturing failures.
Is this Metallurgy Online Course for You?
This course is targeted towards design, manufacturing, supplier quality and quality control engineers, sales people and purchasing agents with technical backgrounds.
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the "Requirements" tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
By participating in this online course, you will be able to:
- Perform a metallurgical failure analysis
- Understand the common techniques used to analyze metals and the data obtained
- Determine failure mode and mechanism
- Use failure analysis information to determine the root cause of a failure
- The relationship between failure analysis and root cause analysis
- How to select, collect, handle, and prepare samples for failure analysis
- The background information required to determine failure mechanism and root cause
- The common techniques used for failure analysis and the data obtained
- Which metallurgical analyses are appropriate for specific failures
- How to determine fracture mode based on the appearance of a fracture surface
- How to perform a failure analysis on fracture, corrosion, and manufacturing failures
- The categories of failure root causes for specific failures
Author(s): Industrial Metallurgists, LLC
Industrial Metallurgists, LLC provides materials engineering expertise and training to help you develop and manufacture products. Industrial Metallurgists, LLC believes that understanding the science and engineering of materials enables the design and manufacture of successful products that meet their performance, reliability, and cost requirements.
- 90 days (from date of purchase) of online access to the five hour presentation
- Course handbook (downloadable, .pdf's)
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Proof of Participation (Transcript)
About Metallurgy Online Courses
These online courses developed by Industrial Metallurgists, LLC and offered on demand by SAE International cover a variety of metallurgy topics and concepts that apply to common design, manufacturing, and quality situations and problems. Each course is divided into individual modules that can be completed in 30 minutes or less. Each module consists of slides with text, images, video, and narration. Many of the modules contain problems that require students to apply the knowledge learned. Non-graded quizzes at the end of each module and a graded final assessment at the end of each course serve as knowledge checks. Using a laptop or PC with an internet connection, you can learn at your own pace, at times convenient to you.
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer 8-11, Mozilla Firefox 37 , Google Chrome 42 (Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Flash Player 8.0 & above
- Flash® Player 13
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum