Access Period: 90 days
Duration: 60 Minutes
This online course teaches about uniform corrosion of metals. Participants will learn why and how uniform corrosion occurs and methods for controlling it. References of textbooks and handbooks for more information are also provided. The course content can be completed in one hour.
Is this Metallurgy Online Course for You?
This course is targeted to design, manufacturing, and quality engineers, and sales people and purchasing agents with technical backgrounds. It is suggested that, as a prerequisite, you have knowledge of the concepts covered in our Corrosion of Metals: Chemistry of Corrosion online course.
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the "Requirements" tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
By participating in this online course, you will be able to:
- Describe the appearance of uniform corrosion
- Explain the uniform corrosion mechanism
- Explain two metallurgical factors that influence uniform corrosion
- Describe four methods to control uniform corrosion
- Calculate design dimensions for components made of metals with known uniform corrosion rates
- Uniform corrosion mechanism
- Why uniform corrosion occurs
- Appearance of uniform corrosion
- Methods for controlling uniform corrosion
Author(s): Industrial Metallurgists, LLC
Industrial Metallurgists, LLC provides materials engineering expertise and training to help you develop and manufacture products. Industrial Metallurgists, LLC believes that understanding the science and engineering of materials enables the design and manufacture of successful products that meet their performance, reliability, and cost requirements.
- 90 days (from date of purchase) of online access to the one hour presentation
- Course handbook (.pdf, dowloadable)
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Proof of Participation (Transcript)
About Metallurgy Online Courses
These online courses developed by Industrial Metallurgists, LLC and offered on demand by SAE International cover a variety of metallurgy topics and concepts that apply to common design, manufacturing, and quality situations and problems. Each course is divided into individual modules that can be completed in 30 minutes or less. Each module consists of slides with text, images, video, and narration. Many of the modules contain problems that require students to apply the knowledge learned. Non-graded quizzes at the end of each module and a graded final assessment at the end of each course serve as knowledge checks. Using a laptop or PC with an internet connection, you can learn at your own pace, at times convenient to you.
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer 10-11, Mozilla Firefox 37+, Google Chrome 42+ (Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum