Access Period: 90 Days
This online course covers the fundamental mechanisms involved in the aqueous (water based chemicals) corrosion of metals. The factors that influence the inherent corrosion behavior of a metal and the factors that influence metal corrosion rate will be discussed. It will take you one hour to complete.
Is this Metallurgy Online Course for You?
This course is targeted to design, manufacturing, and quality engineers, and sales people and purchasing agents with technical backgrounds. It is suggested that, as a prerequisite, you should be familiar with chemistry concepts such as ions, electrons, and chemical reactions.
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the "Requirements" tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
By participating in this online course, you will be able to:
- Describe the three possible behaviors of a metal in an aqueous (water based) solution
- List the four requirements of an corrosion cell
- Describe the anode and cathode reactions that occur in a corrosion cell
- Describe the three forms of anode and cathode electrical contact
- Explain the relationship between corrosion rate, corrosion current, and corrosion current density.
- Explain the difference between noble and active behavior
- Explain the effects of an external voltage and contact with another metal on the corrosion rate of a metal
- Explain five factors that influence corrosion rate
- Describe four factors that influence the corrosion performance of a metal component
- Parts of an electrochemical corrosion cell
- Corrosion reactions
- Factors that influence the corrosion behavior of a metal
- Factors that influence the corrosion rate of a metal
Author(s): Industrial Metallurgists, LLC
Industrial Metallurgists, LLC provides materials engineering expertise and training to help you develop and manufacture products. Industrial Metallurgists, LLC believes that understanding the science and engineering of materials enables the design and manufacture of successful products that meet their performance, reliability, and cost requirements.
- 90 days (from date of purchase) of online access to the one hour presentation
- Course handbook (.pdf, dowloadable)
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Proof of Participation (Transcript)
About Metallurgy Online Courses
These online courses developed by Industrial Metallurgists, LLC and offered on demand by SAE International cover a variety of metallurgy topics and concepts that apply to common design, manufacturing, and quality situations and problems. Each course is divided into individual modules that can be completed in 30 minutes or less. Each module consists of slides with text, images, video, and narration. Many of the modules contain problems that require students to apply the knowledge learned. Non-graded quizzes at the end of each module and a graded final assessment at the end of each course serve as knowledge checks. Using a laptop or PC with an internet connection, you can learn at your own pace, at times convenient to you.
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer 10-11, Mozilla Firefox 37 , Google Chrome 42 (Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum