Access Period: 90 Days
Duration: 1 Hours
This online course discusses common steel case hardening processes and how they are used to modify the surface layers of steels to obtain specific mechanical properties. Participants will learn about the process parameters and how they affect case composition, depth, microstructure, and properties. The course takes one hour to complete.
Is this Metallurgy Online Course for You?
This course is targeted to design, manufacturing, and quality engineers, and sales people and purchasing agents with technical backgrounds. It is suggested that, as a prerequisite, you have knowledge of the concepts covered in our Principles of Metallurgy and Metallurgy of Steel: Principles or knowledge of the concepts covered in those courses.
Click on the "Requirements" tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact
with this course.
By participating in this online course, you will be able to:
- Describe the thermal cycles and significant process variables for six common case hardening processes
- Explain the case microstructures that result from the six common case hardening processes
- Describe the effects of case hardening process parameters on case depth, microstructure, and hardness of case hardened steel
- Explain two ways to measure case depth of carburized steel
- List common problems encountered with case hardening processes and how to prevent these problems
- Flame hardening
- Induction hardening
Author(s): Industrial Metallurgists, LLC
Industrial Metallurgists, LLC provides materials engineering expertise and training to help you develop and manufacture products. Industrial Metallurgists, LLC believes that understanding the science and engineering of materials enables the design and manufacture of successful products that meet their performance, reliability, and cost requirements.
- 90 days (from date of purchase) of online access to the one hour presentation
- Course handbook (.pdf, dowloadable)
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Proof of Participation (Transcript)
About Metallurgy Online Courses
These online courses developed by Industrial Metallurgists, LLC and offered on demand by SAE International cover a variety of metallurgy topics and concepts that apply to common design, manufacturing, and quality situations and problems. Each course is divided into individual modules that can be completed in 30 minutes or less. Each module consists of slides with text, images, video, and narration. Many of the modules contain problems that require students to apply the knowledge learned. Non-graded quizzes at the end of each module and a graded final assessment at the end of each course serve as knowledge checks. Using a laptop or PC with an internet connection, you can learn at your own pace, at times convenient to you.
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer 10-11, Mozilla Firefox 37 , Google Chrome 42 (Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum