Access Period: 90 days
Duration: 30 Minutes
This online course focuses on Rockwell and Brinell hardness testing and Vickers and Knoop microhardness testing. Participants will learn about how the tests are performed, test sample requirements, test parameter selection, and testing requirements. The course can be completed in 30 minutes.
Is this Metallurgy Online Course for You?
This online course is targeted to design, manufacturing, and quality engineers, and sales people and purchasing agents with technical backgrounds. It is suggested that, as a prerequisite, you have knowledge of the concepts covered in our Corrosion of Metals: Chemistry of Corrosion online course.
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the "Requirements" tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
By participating in this online course, you will be able to:
- Explain how Brinell and Rockwell hardness tests are performed
- Explain how Vickers and Knoop microhardness tests are performed
- Explain the sample and testing requirements for Brinell and Rockwell hardness and Knoop and Vickers microhardness tests
- Describe the effects of test load and indenter size on indentation depth and size
- Rockwell hardness testing
- Brinell hardness testing
- Knoop and Vickers microhardness sample preparation and testing
Author(s): Industrial Metallurgists, LLC
Industrial Metallurgists, LLC provides materials engineering expertise and training to help you develop and manufacture products. Industrial Metallurgists, LLC believes that understanding the science and engineering of materials enables the design and manufacture of successful products that meet their performance, reliability, and cost requirements.
- Three months (from date of purchase) of online access to the thirty minute presentation
- Course handbook (.pdf, dowloadable)
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Proof of Participation (Transcript)
About Metallurgy Online Courses
These online courses developed by Industrial Metallurgists, LLC and offered on demand by SAE International cover a variety of metallurgy topics and concepts that apply to common design, manufacturing, and quality situations and problems. Each course is divided into individual modules that can be completed in 30 minutes or less. Each module consists of slides with text, images, video, and narration. Many of the modules contain problems that require students to apply the knowledge learned. Non-graded quizzes at the end of each module and a graded final assessment at the end of each course serve as knowledge checks. Using a laptop or PC with an internet connection, you can learn at your own pace, at times convenient to you.
- Pentium PC 300 MHZ
- Minimum 128 MB RAM
- Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8, or 9 browser (IE 10 & 11, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Unix/Linus based browsers are not currently supported)
- Adobe Flash Player 8 or above required
- Broadband-128Kbps and above (Minimum: Cable or DSL connection)
- Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7
- 1024 X 768 Screen Resolution