Access Period: 90 Days
Duration: 2 Hours
This online course teaches about the microscopic changes that take place in a precipitation strengthened alloy and their effects on the properties of the alloy. The effects of the different heat treating steps (solution treatment, quench, and aging) and heat treating process parameters (solution treatment temperature and time, quench rate, and aging temperature and time) on the alloy microstructure and the effects on alloy strength are discussed. The course is divided into five modules followed by a quiz.
Is this Metallurgy Online Course for You?
This course is targeted to design, manufacturing, and quality engineers. It is suggested that, as a prerequisite, you have knowledge of the concepts covered in our Principles of Metallurgy online course.
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the "Requirements" tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
By participating in this online course, you will be able to:
- Describe the process steps for precipitation strengthening an alloy
- List alloys that are precipitation strengthened
- Explain why precipitation strengthens an alloy
- Describe the microstructure and property changes that occur during the precipitation strengthening heat treatment process steps
- List the critical process parameters for solution treatment, quenching, and aging
- Relate the critical process parameters to alloy microstructure and the properties of precipitation strengthened alloys
- List the tests used to evaluate whether a precipitation strengthened alloy has been properly heat treated
- Phase diagrams
- Precipitation strengthening heat treatment
- Heat treatment details
- Quality control and course review
Author(s): Industrial Metallurgists, LLC
Industrial Metallurgists, LLC provides materials engineering expertise and training to help you develop and manufacture products. Industrial Metallurgists, LLC believes that understanding the science and engineering of materials enables the design and manufacture of successful products that meet their performance, reliability, and cost requirements.
- 90 days of online access (from date of purchase) to the two hour presentation
- Course handbook (downloadable, .pdf's)
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Proof of Participation (Transcript)
About Metallurgy Online Courses
These online courses developed by Industrial Metallurgists, LLC and offered on demand by SAE International cover a variety of metallurgy topics and concepts that apply to common design, manufacturing, and quality situations and problems. Each course is divided into individual modules that can be completed in 30 minutes or less. Each module consists of slides with text, images, video, and narration. Many of the modules contain problems that require students to apply the knowledge learned. Non-graded quizzes at the end of each module and a graded final assessment at the end of each course serve as knowledge checks. Using a laptop or PC with an internet connection, you can learn at your own pace, at times convenient to you.
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer 10-11, Mozilla Firefox 37 , Google Chrome 42 (Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum