Access Period: 90 days
Duration: 3 Hours
This online course teaches the phases and microstructures that form in steels, their effects on steel properties, the microstructure changes that occur when steel is heated and cooled, the effects of carbon content and cooling rate on the microstructures that form. Also, how to read the iron-carbon phase diagram will be discussed. All this information is applicable to understanding the effects of steel heat treating processes and heat treating process parameters on the microstructure and properties of heat treated plain carbon, low-alloy, and tools steels. The course is divided into six modules followed by a quiz.
Is this Metallurgy Online Course for You?
This online course is targeted to design, manufacturing, and quality engineers, and sourcing specialists. It is suggested that, as a prerequisite, you have basic knowledge of solid solution, substitutions, interstitials, diffusion, effects of process temperature and time on diffusion and metallurgical changes, metallurgical phases, grains, grain boundaries, dislocations or the concepts covered in our Principles of Metallurgy online course.
Be sure to click on the "Requirements" tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
By participating in this online course, you will be able to:
- Explain the designation systems used for steel alloys
- Identify the alloying elements and carbon content in carbon and low-alloy steels based on their alloy designations
- Describe the common metallurgical phases and microstructures found in steels
- Identify six phase fields on an iron-carbon phase diagram
- Explain the effects of the different microstructures that form in steel on steel strength and hardness
- Explain the metallurgical changes that occur inside steel during heat and cooling
- Explain how the iron-carbon phase diagram and time-temperature-transformation diagrams are used to predict the phases present in a steel based on a heat treating thermal cycle
- Relate the interactions between heat treating temperature, heat treating time, cooling rate, and steel composition on a steel’s microstructure and properties
- Steel types and designations
- Metallurgical phases that form in steel and their effects on properties
- Steel phase diagram
- Metallurgical changes in carbon steel during cooling
- Metallurgical changes in carbon steel during heating
- Course Review
Author(s): Industrial Metallurgists, LLC
Industrial Metallurgists, LLC provides materials engineering expertise and training to help you develop and manufacture products. Industrial Metallurgists, LLC believes that understanding the science and engineering of materials enables the design and manufacture of successful products that meet their performance, reliability, and cost requirements.
- 90 days (from date of purchase) of online access to the two hour presentation
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Course workbook (.pdf, dowloadable)
- Proof of Participation (Transcript)
About Metallurgy Online Courses
These online courses developed by Industrial Metallurgists, LLC and offered on demand by SAE International cover a variety of metallurgy topics and concepts that apply to common design, manufacturing, and quality situations and problems. Each course is divided into individual modules that can be completed in 30 minutes or less. Each module consists of slides with text, images, video, and narration. Many of the modules contain problems that require students to apply the knowledge learned. Non-graded quizzes at the end of each module and a graded final assessment at the end of each course serve as knowledge checks. Using a laptop or PC with an internet connection, you can learn at your own pace, at times convenient to you.
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer 10-11, Mozilla Firefox 37+, Google Chrome 42+ (Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum