Access Period: 90 days
Duration: 4 Hours
This online course teaches the basic microscopic structures present inside of metals, how these structures and metal composition influence metal strength, and how these structures can be modified using common manufacturing processes to obtain specific mechanical properties. Several examples are presented to demonstrate how common alloying and manufacturing methods are used to modify the microscopic structures and properties of metals. It includes twelve modules that are five to 25 minutes in length, followed by a quiz.
Is this Metallurgy Online Course for You?
This course is targeted towards design, manufacturing, and quality engineers, and sales people and purchasing agents with technical backgrounds.
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the "Requirements" tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
By participating in this online course, you will be able to:
- Explain the relationship between a metal’s properties and its composition, microscopic structure, and the manufacturing processes used to fabricate the metal
- Describe three types of microscopic structures present in metals
- Explain how cold working, alloying, and heat treating are used to strengthen a metal
- Explain the microstructure and property changes that occur in cold worked metals during annealing, in steels during through hardening, and during precipitation strengthening heat treatments
- Relate the heat treatment time and temperature to the microscopic structures and properties of through hardened steels, cold-worked metals, and precipitation strengthened alloys
- Microscopic structures
- Crystal defects
- Cold Working
- Solid Solution strengthening
- Precipitation Strengthening Heat Treatment
- Steel and Steel Heat Treating
Author(s): Industrial Metallurgists, LLC
Industrial Metallurgists, LLC provides materials engineering expertise and training to help you develop and manufacture products. Industrial Metallurgists, LLC believes that understanding the science and engineering of materials enables the design and manufacture of successful products that meet their performance, reliability, and cost requirements.
- 90 days (from date of purchase) of online access to the four hour presentation
- Course handbook (downloadable, .pdf's)
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Proof of Participation (Transcript)
About Metallurgy Online Courses
These online courses developed by Industrial Metallurgists, LLC and offered on demand by SAE International cover a variety of metallurgy topics and concepts that apply to common design, manufacturing, and quality situations and problems. Each course is divided into individual modules that can be completed in 30 minutes or less. Each module consists of slides with text, images, video, and narration. Many of the modules contain problems that require students to apply the knowledge learned. Non-graded quizzes at the end of each module and a graded final assessment at the end of each course serve as knowledge checks. Using a laptop or PC with an internet connection, you can learn at your own pace, at times convenient to you.
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer 10-11, Mozilla Firefox 37+, Google Chrome 42+ (Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum