Access Period: 90 Days
Duration: 6 Hours
The Ford Powertrain Controls (PTC) online course introduces the critical role the
powertrain controls system plays in providing excellent vehicle performance, fuel economy,
driveability, and emissions. The course describes the powertrain controls system
components, including sensors and actuators. The information is presented from a
functional, interface diagram, and p-diagram perspective, to enable reliable and robust
powertrain operation. In addition, the course emphasizes powertrain controls interactions
with internal and external interfaces.
This six-hour online course is intended to stimulate systems interaction thinking by emphasizing powertrain controls interactions with internal and external interfaces and to help you understand powertrain control systems, prevent late design changes, reduce warranty costs, and improve customer satisfaction. While certain Ford proprietary information has been removed from the course, it contains essentially the same content that engineers from Ford and select suppliers have benefitted from taking.
Is this Ford Online Course for You?
This course is geared toward powertrain, product development, quality, and manufacturing engineers. It is recommended that you have an engineering degree and experience in the automotive engineering field.
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the "Requirements" tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
"For someone relatively new to Powertrain Controls, this course gives a good general understanding of the system at a reasonable cost."
Robert Bosch LLC
By participating in this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the powertrain controls system and its components
- Describe powertrain controls hardware and software
- Explain powertrain controls system fundamentals, functions, and interactions
- Describe interfacing activities with other organizations
- Explain the impact of powertrain controls changes to interfacing activities
- Describe powertrain controls system modes of operation
- Identify customer and government attributes affected by powertrain controls system performance
- Identify requirements and metrics for powertrain controls systems
- Optimize driveability, performance, fuel economy, emissions, and diagnostics
- Evaluate p-diagrams and boundary diagrams to identify potential adverse powertrain controls system interactions with surrounding systems
- Describe and access powertrain controls documentation and lessons learned
Major topics include:
- Powertrain Controls Overview
- Powertrain Controls Hardware
- Powertrain Controls Software/Calibration and Diagnostics
- Powertrain Controls Reliability and Robustness
- Powertrain Controls Interfaces
- Sensors and Actuators
- Powertrain Controls Modes of Operation
With your registration, you will receive 90 days (from date of purchase) of online access to the six-hour presentation.
About Ford Online Courses
Ford and SAE International offer convenient and portable online courses on powertrain and problem-solving topics as a way to extend Ford engineering knowledge across the global industry. These internet-delivered short courses feature graphical presentation screens with text-based instruction, a glossary, and references. Case studies, summaries, and checks for knowledge are incorporated throughout each course to reinforce learning and retention and gauge your
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer 10-11, Mozilla Firefox 37 , Google Chrome 42 (Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum