Access Period: 3 Months
Duration: 81 Minutes
Two of the most important and commonly used components in racing data acquisition today are engine RPM and speed analysis. These two channels of data give race teams and engineers critical information that can be used every day to help quantify changes in both the driver and the race vehicle. This 80-minute, online short course focuses on race car data acquisition, highlighting cornering speeds, engine acceleration rates, gear selection, engine RPM curves, shift times, throttle on/off, engine acceleration, wheel spin, brake lock, cornering speed, ignition cutout and much more. Whether you are a weekend racer or a professional data acquisition engineer, you will find the components of this course fundamental to successful data analysis in the real world. From hardware installation to software interpretation, this course will give you confidence and additional insight into these key pieces of data analysis.
Is this Fast Track for You?
The Practical Race Car Data Acquisition: RPM and Speed Analysis Fast Track is designed for the racer - from the professional road racer to the weekend racer - or the engineer who is incorporating data acquisition into their race team strategy and want to maximize the abilities of their system as quickly as possible. This course does not require any pre-requisite, as the content will unfold from the basics, up to the more advanced features of these important data acquisition sensors. The knowledge gained in this course can be applied the next day at any level of racing without any additional training or experience.
By participating in this Fast Track short course, you will be able to explain:
- Why data acquisition and analysis are so beneficial for all types and levels of racing and racers
- The most common set-ups for Engine RPM and Speed/MPH data acquisition
- The procedures for acquiring and analyzing Engine RPM and Speed data
- How to interpret the most common data logger outputs for both Engine RPM and Speed data
- Alternative analyses that may be necessary for certain racing applications
- Set-up for Acquiring Engine RPM Data
- Acquiring and Analyzing Engine RPM Data
- Interpreting RPM Results
- Set-up for Acquiring Speed/MPH Data
- Interpreting Speed/MPH Results
- Alternative Analysis Strategies
Instructor(s): Dave Scaler
Dave Scaler is the owner of AdvantageMotorsports.com, a company that performs engineering and analysis in the field of racing data acquisition and produces data logger hardware, software and sensors for racers around the world. Celebrating his 25th year in the racing industry, Dave has worked as a race mechanic, engine builder, race engineer, and race team manager for Road Racing, Oval Track, Drag Racing and Bonneville teams. Dave has taught Data Acquisition seminars all over the US, and his practical, real-world training style has been well received in all forms of motorsports venues.
- Three months of online access (from date of purchase) to the 80 minute presentation
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Proof of Participation (Transcript)
About Fast Tracks
SAE "Fast Tracks" are Internet-delivered short courses featuring animated presentation screens synchronized with audio instruction. Knowledge checks are incorporated throughout the course to reinforce learning and retention and gauge your understanding of a topic before you move forward.
- Pentium PC 300 MHZ
- Minimum 128 MB RAM
- Internet Explorer 6.0 & above browser recommended
- Adobe Flash Player 8 or above required
- Broadband-128Kbps and above (Minimum: Cable or DSL connection)
- Windows 2000, XP, Vista
- 1024 X 768 Screen Resolution
- Sound Card/Speakers