SI Engine Certificate
The SI Engine Certificate is a five-course package designed to familiarize engineers with key spark ignition engine components and technologies and how they function as a system. After reviewing SI engine fundamentals, the program focuses on technologies and design considerations aimed at improving performance and efficiency.
By completing the certificate, engineers can acquire fairly deep engine expertise and, at the same time, earn an SAE credential. Upon completing each individual course (including successfully passing the post-course learning assessment), an SAE Certificate of Achievement is awarded, issuing the designated number of Continuing Education Units (CEUs). After taking all five courses, a comprehensive certificate is awarded, recognizing completion of the entire certificate program.
Completing the SI Engine Certificate also equates to 7 or 8 graduate credits (depending on the elective selected) towards the SAE/Kettering University 20-credit Certificate in Automotive Systems and Kettering's 40-credit M.S. in Mechanical Engineering. Visit http://training.sae.org/seminarsinfo/ceu/kettering_cp.htm for more information.
The courses do not have to be taken in any specified order, although Basics of Internal Combustion Engines is a good starting point if it can be scheduled as one's first seminar. The entire program must be completed within seven years.Required Seminars
- Basics of Internal Combustion Engines (2 Days)
- Also available as a self-paced online e-Seminar (10 Hours)
- Internal Combustion Systems: HCCI, DoD, VCT/VVT, DI and VCR (3 Days)
- Turbocharging Internal Combustion Engines (3 Days)
- Powertrain Selection for Fuel Economy and Acceleration Performance (2 Days)
- Automotive Heat Transfer (2 Days)
- Combustion and Emissions (3 Days)
- Compact Heat Exchangers for Automotive Applications (2 Days)
- Engine Failure Investigation and Analysis (2 Days)
- Exhaust Flow Performance and Pressure Drop of Exhaust Components and Systems (1 Day)
- Fundamentals of Automotive Fuel Delivery Systems (2 Days)
- Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Engines (3 Days)
- Introduction to Commercial and Off-Road Vehicle Cooling Airflow Systems Web Seminar RePlay (12 Hours)
- Piston Ring Design/Materials (2 Days)
- Variable Valve Actuation Design and Performance Impact on Advanced Powertrains (2 Days)
Courses no longer offered by SAE but eligible to be used as electives for this program, providing they were completed within seven years of the date the Certificate is requested, include:
- Introduction to Commercial and Off-Road Vehicle Cooling Airflow Systems (2 Days) or Web Seminar
There is no formal application process. You may simply begin taking courses at your convenience. You may self-monitor your transcript as you progress through the program by visiting http://mylearn.sae.org and clicking My Transcript (requires log in). To request a completed Certificate for the program
Once all courses are completed, please notify SAE Customer Service, 877-606-7323 or CustomerService@sae.org to request your certificate. Your transcript will be audited and completion of courses will be verified prior to issuing the certificate.