Vehicle Dynamics Certificate Program
This five-course package is designed to equip engineers with key vehicle dynamics and handling theory and application from a systems perspective. The objective is for engineers to understand the interaction and performance balance between the major vehicle subsystems including powertrain, brakes, steering, suspensions, and wheel/tires. The program design requires completion of both fundamental and advanced-level vehicle dynamics theory and application courses followed by three elective courses that best suit an individual's interest areas or engineering emphasis.
By completing the certificate, engineers can heighten their expertise within the vehicle dynamics arena and, at the same time, earn an SAE credential recognizing them for having done so. Upon completing each individual course, an SAE Certificate of Achievement is awarded, issuing the designated number of Continuing Education Units (CEUs). After taking all five courses, a comprehensive certificate is awarded, recognizing completion of the entire certificate program.
Completing the Vehicle Dynamics Certificate equates to eight graduate credits towards the SAE/Kettering University 20-credit Certificate in Automotive Systems and Kettering's 40-credit M.S. in Mechanical Engineering. Visit http://training.sae.org/seminarsinfo/ceu/kettering_cp.htm for more information.
The courses do not have to be taken in any specified order, although the Required Courses are good starting points if they can be scheduled and completed prior to the electives. The entire program must be completed within seven years.
- Vehicle Dynamics for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks* (3 days) OR Fundamentals of Heavy Truck Dynamics* (3 days) OR Applied Heavy Duty Truck Dynamics* (4 Days)
- Advanced Vehicle Dynamics for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks* (3 days)
Electives (Select three courses)
- Applied Vehicle Dynamics* (3 days)
- Commercial Vehicle Braking Systems* (3 days)
- Fundamentals of Steering Systems* (2 days)
- Heavy Vehicle Ride Comfort Engineering (1 Day)
- Hydraulic Brake Systems for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks* (3 days)
- High-Performance Brake Systems (2 days)
- Introduction to Brake Control Systems: ABS, TCS, and ESC* (2 days)
- The Tire as a Vehicle Component* (1 day) AND Tire and Wheel Safety Issues* (1 day)
- Fundamentals of Heavy Truck Dynamics* (3 days)
- Vehicle Dynamic Basics for Off-highway Trucks (1 day)
Additional elective courses
Courses no longer offered by SAE but eligible to be used as electives for this program, providing they were completed within seven years of the date the Certificate is requested, include:
- 97020 Sensors and Actuators: Chassis Applications (1.5 days)
- C0551 Applying Brake Controls to Vehicle Dynamics (2 days)
- 96016 Concurrent Engineering Practices Applied to the Design of Chassis Systems (3 days)
- PD130611ON Commercial Vehicle Braking Systems e-Seminar (18 hours)
Additional Self-paced Learning Courses
The following courses in this program can also be completed as self-paced online e-Seminars:
- Vehicle Dynamics for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks e-Seminar* (15 hours)
- Introduction to Brake Control Systems e-Seminar* (9.5 hours)
Many of the courses included in the Vehicle Dynamics Certificate Program have been approved by the Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR) for Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Courses marked with an "*" in the Required and Elective Course lists are eligible for ACTAR CEUs. For more information on how many ACTAR CEUs can be earned for each course as well as how to request them, please refer to the individual course descriptions.
Successful completion of a learning assessment is required for each course to gain the CEUs for the course.
To enroll in the Certificate Program
There is no formal application process. You may simply begin taking courses at your convenience. You may self-monitor your transcript as you progress through the program by visiting http://mylearn.sae.org and clicking My Transcript (requires log in).
To request overall Certificate Program framed certificate
When all courses are completed, please notify SAE Customer Service, 877-606-7323 or CustomerService@sae.org. Once your transcript is audited and completion of courses verified, your certificate will be issued.