Product Engineering Tools and Methods Certificate Program
This Certificate Program focuses on the study, development, management and implementation of product engineering principles, methodologies and techniques. When used properly, these tools and methods become powerful productivity enhancers, improve communication, documentation, problem-solving and quality, and reduce product development time and cost.
Upon completing each individual course, an SAE Certificate of Achievement is awarded, issuing the designated number of Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Upon completing all six courses, a comprehensive certificate is awarded, recognizing completion of the entire certificate program.
Completing the Product Engineering Tools and Methods Certificate equates to six to seven graduate credits towards the SAE/Kettering University 20-credit Certificate in Automotive Systems and Kettering's 40-credit M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, depending on the elective that is completed. Visit http://training.sae.org/seminarsinfo/ceu/kettering_cp.htm for more information.
The courses do not have to be taken in any specified order. The entire six-course program must be completed in five years.
Required courses (offered live online or on demand for your convenience): (54 hours)
- Design of Experiments (DOE) for Engineers Webinar (12 hours)
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) for Design Engineers Webinar (12 hours)
- Fundamentals of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) Webinar or Webinar Recording (16 hours)
- Tolerance Stack-up Fundamentals Webinar or Webinar Recording (6 hours)
- Root Cause Problem Solving: Methods and Tools Webinar or Webinar Recording (8 hours)
Electives (select one): (6-18 hours)
- Accelerated Test Methods for Ground and Aerospace Vehicle Development (2 Day Classroom Seminar) or Accelerated Test Methods for Ground and Aerospace Vehicle Development e-Seminar (10 hours)
- All three advanced webinars/webinar recordings in the Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing Series (4.5 hours)
- Design FMEA Update: What's New in J1739 Webinar or Webinar Recording (6 hours)
- Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFM/DFA) (2 Day Seminar)
- Design Review Workshop (1.5 Day Classroom Seminar)
- Finite Element Analysis for Design Engineers - Hands-on FEA Workshop (2 Day Classroom Seminar)
- Introduction to Design Review Based on Failure Modes (DRBFM) Webinar or Webinar Recording (6 hours)
- Introduction to Failure Mode and Effects Analysis for Product and Process (2 Day Classroom Seminar)
- Robust Design (2 Day Classroom Seminar)
- Statistical Tolerance Design (1 Day Classroom Seminar)
- Weibull-Log Normal Analysis Workshop (3 Day Classroom Seminar)
Classroom learning option
The following required course titles in this program can also be completed as classroom seminars:
- Design of Experiments (DOE) for Engineers (2 Days)
- Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (3 Days)
- Tolerance Stack-Up Analysis (2 Days)
Successful completion of a learning assessment is required for each course to gain the CEUs for the course.
To enroll in the Certificate Program
There is no formal application process. You may simply begin taking courses at your convenience. You may self-monitor your transcript as you progress through the program by visiting http://mylearn.sae.org and clicking My Transcript (requires log in).
To request overall Certificate Program framed certificate
When all courses are completed, please notify SAE Customer Service, 877-606-7323 or CustomerService@sae.org. Once your transcript is audited and completion of courses verified, your certificate will be issued.