Accident Reconstruction Certificate Program
This six-course certificate program focuses on the fundamental technical knowledge and skills required for practitioners of vehicular accident reconstruction. The primary objective of this certificate program is for the attendees to become more proficient at the practice of vehicle crash/accident reconstruction. This is accomplished through an understanding of the fundamentals of crash mechanics, vehicle dynamics and kinematics, and how vehicle systems, subsystems and on-board technology influence that process. The required portion of the curriculum supports this objective by taking the attendees through crash reconstruction methods, vehicle dynamics and event data recorder (EDR) technology. The individual can then select three elective courses that best suit the individual's interest areas or engineering emphasis.
By completing the certificate, engineers will heighten their expertise within the accident reconstruction field and, at the same time, earn an SAE credential recognizing them for having done so. Upon completing each individual course and the accompanying exam, an SAE Certificate of Achievement is awarded. The designated number of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) is also issued. After completing the necessary program requirements, a comprehensive certificate is awarded, recognizing the individual for the completion of the entire certificate program.
The courses do not have to be taken in any specified order, although the Required Courses are good starting points if they can be scheduled and completed prior to the electives. The entire program must be completed within seven years.
- Vehicle Crash Reconstruction Methods* (3 days)
- Vehicle Dynamics for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks* (3 days) or Applied Vehicle Dynamics* (3 days) or Vehicle Dynamics for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks e-Seminar* (15 hours)
- Applying Automotive EDR Data to Traffic Crash Reconstruction* (3 days) or Accessing and Interpreting Heavy Vehicle Event Data Recorders* (3.5 days)
Electives (Select three courses)
- Advanced Vehicle Dynamics for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks* (3 days)
- Chassis & Suspension Component Design for Passenger Cars & Light Trucks (3 days)
- Hydraulic Brake Systems for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks* (3 days)
- High-Performance Brake Systems (2 days)
- Introduction to Brake Control Systems: ABS, TCS, and ESC* (2 days) or Introduction to Brake Control Systems e-Seminar* (9.5 hours)
- Basic Tire Mechanics and Inspection* (1 day)
- Tire Forensic Analysis* (2 days)
- Tire and Wheel Safety Issues* (1 day)
- The Tire as a Vehicle Component* (1 day)
- Injuries, Anatomy, Biomechanics & Federal Regulation* (3 days)
- Commercial Vehicle Braking Systems* (3 days)
- Introduction to Heavy Truck Tire, Steering, and Suspension Dynamics (1 day)
- Fundamentals of Automotive All-Wheel Drive Systems (1 day)
- Fundamentals of Heavy Truck Dynamics* (3 days)
- Applying Automotive EDR Data to Traffic Crash Reconstruction* (3 days) If not taken as a required course above OR Accessing and Interpreting Heavy Vehicle Event Data Recorders* (3.5 days) If not taken as a required course above
- Reconstruction and Analysis of Rollover Crashes of Light Vehicles* (1 day)
- Reconstruction and Analysis of Motorcycle Crashes* (1 day)
Many of the courses included in the Accident Reconstruction Certificate Program have been approved by the Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction (ACTAR) for Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Courses marked with an "*" in the Required and Elective Course lists are eligible for ACTAR CEUs. For more information on how many ACTAR CEUs can be earned for each course as well as how to request them, please refer to the individual course descriptions.
Successful completion of a learning assessment is required for each course to gain the CEUs for the course.
To enroll in the Certificate Program
There is no formal application process. You may simply begin taking courses at your convenience. You may self-monitor your transcript as you progress through the program by visiting http://mylearn.sae.org and clicking My Transcript (requires log in).
To request overall Certificate Program framed certificate
When all courses are completed, please notify SAE Customer Service, 877-606-7323 or CustomerService@sae.org. Once your transcript is audited and completion of courses verified, your certificate will be issued.